Follow along as this mom of two finds her way back to a healthy and fit lifestyle, one day at a time.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's holding you back?

I've been thinking about this question a lot lately... it applies to everything in life, not just health and/or fitness related goals. If you want to do something, have an idea, a goal, etc.... what's holding you back?

With regard to being healthy, we seem to take an all or nothing approach. You're a new mom, and although your baby is turning 1 next week, you still haven't lost any of the post-baby weight. And since you haven't lost anything, you call yourself a failure.

We need to change our thinking here!

Let's say you would like to lose 30 pounds. Well, it isn't all going to fall off overnight. It all starts with losing 1 pound. Then the second, and then the third. Three pounds isn't a lot, but it's moving in the right direction, right? We need to celebrate every achievement, and stop being so hard on ourselves, because every pound, every workout, every healthy choice, is an achievement in itself. And all those tiny achievements help us to reach our bigger goals.

So, I ask again, what's holding you back?

I challenge each of you to take out a pen and paper and write down four things: First, ONE goal you'd like to reach. It doesn't have to be huge. Just one thing. Then, write down ONE thing you can do to get closer to that goal. Finally, write down ONE thing that could (or is) holding you back from reaching the goal, and what you can do to overcome it.

For example:
Goal: I want to get back to a healthy BMI.
To get there: I need to lose 15-20 pounds, 1-2 pounds per week
Holding me back: My diet, I love to snack
To overcome this: better meal planning, have healthy snacks available

See? Easy! Remember, think small. The goal shouldn't be huge to start. Start small, with an achievable goal. Maybe it is to take 3 walks this week. What's holding you back? Laziness? Then just get over it, one walk at a time. Each walk finished is one goal down!

And remember, it doesn't always have to be forward motion. Sometimes we stumble, and don't reach our goals. That's ok too. Don't beat yourself up! Just get back on track to reach that goal again. I know we can all do it!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this post...my laziness and complete lack of energy has been holding me back for MONTHS now. I finally got off my culo today and ran for 20 min...not much but its a start right?!
    yay for having healthy goals!
    xo

    ReplyDelete